St. Rose of Lima School
Kindergarten – 8th Grade
Building strong minds and faith-filled hearts.
Founded in 1959, St. Rose of Lima School is a parish Catholic elementary school in the Diocese of Rockville Centre. The school educates students through eighth grade, with full-day Kindergarten as well as a part-time Preschool Program for Nursery and Pre-Kindergarten children.
As a Catholic school, St. Rose of Lima recognizes education as a life-long process. We are committed to developing the spiritual, intellectual, moral, social, physical and emotional dimensions of every child. Acknowledging that each student is a child of God, we strive to challenge them to embrace God’s message and to achieve academic excellence. Administration, faculty and staff, together with parents and guardians, serve as role models to bring students to their full potential. We are dedicated to creating a Christ-centered environment for the children of those families who seek a quality Catholic education. This mission will manifest itself as our students make positive contributions to our world.
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Elementary Schools – a recognition of a school’s quality assurance, innovation and educational integrity. Visit our website’s “About Our School” tab for more information.
Faculty & Administration
- Supportive pastor and parish.
- State-certified administrator with more than 35 years experience.
- Faculty with majority of teachers state certified and holding a Master’s Degree.
- The full-time services of a nurse provided by the Massapequa School District.
- Two classes on each grade level.
- Average class size of 24 students; policy not to exceed 30 students for Grades 1-8.
- Kindergarten generally limited to 25 students; teacher’s assistant in the morning.
- Nursery and Pre-K generally limited to 20 children; full-time teacher’s assistant.
- Approximately 408 students/278 families in Grades K-8.
- St. Rose Pre K-8th instructional program is aligned with the NYS Common Core Standards.
- In addition to core subjects, weekly instruction in “Specials”: Music (Gr. K-8), Art (Gr. K-8), Gym (Gr. K-8), Library (Gr. K-8), Learning Center (Gr. K-5), and Computer (Gr. 1-8).
- Spanish, a requirement for graduation, is taught in Grades 6-8.
- Formal, daily instruction in Religion beginning in Pre-K.
- Reception of Reconciliation and First Eucharist in Gr. 2.
- All students participate in several school Mass as held throughout the year (Gr. K-8) and Reconciliation (Gr. 2-8); each grade has class Mass.
- Service projects throughout the year.
- Fully-equipped Computer and Learning Center labs with weekly instruction.
- Computer Lab houses 16 iMac computers with latest applications and software.
- Entire building networked via a diocesan-approved web server.
- Interactive Smart Boards, LCD projectors, document cameras, and internet access in every classroom.
- Automated library with internet access.
- 60 iPads used for interactive learning in class.
- 60 Chromebooks used for interactive learning in class.
- Students are assessed three times a school year, reporting progress using the diocesan report card.
- Online portal for parents (Gr. 1-8) to view grades (for trimesters, tests, projects, quizzes) and attendance throughout the school year.
- St. Rose students have impressive high school entrance exam results and successful results on the NYS Tests and Iowa Tests of Basic Skills
- Students in grades 4 and 6 participate in the NYS Math and ELA testingprogram. Student sin grades 4 and 8 participate in the NYS Science test.
There are many opportunities for students to get involved in special programs and extra-curricular activities, such as: After School Enrichment (Gr. K-8), Junior Rosary Society (Gr. 1-8), Band Instruction (Gr. 3-8), Green Team (Gr. 4-8), Student Council (Gr. 4-8), Curriculum Fair (Gr. 4-8), National Junior Honor Society (Grades 7-8), Chorus (Gr. 7-8), Yearbook (Grade 8), Living Stations of the Cross (Grade 8), CYO Athletics (Intramural & Travel).
After School Care Program
- YMCA-sponsored program in our building.
- Available for Grades K-6.
- From dismissal until 6:00 pm.
- Homework time and organized activities.
- Five- and three-day options.
- Reasonable prices; discounts for multiple children.
Parent Organizations, Events & Programs
Our two volunteer-driven parent organizations are the School Board and the Home-School Association. Both are active in sponsoring many events and programs for our school, including:
Fall Festival, North Pole Sale, Breakfast with Santa, Christmas Fair, Ice Skating Party, Auction, Sweetheart Dance, Book Fair, Mother-Son Event, Plant Sale,Fashion Show, Family Festival.
All school volunteers are required to complete the diocesan-mandated VIRTUS training program.
- Textbooks and transportation are provided by the respective school district.
- Uniforms are required for Gr. K-8 and may be purchased at Flynn & O’Hara Uniform Co.
- Our School Store sells gym uniforms and other logo items.
- Hot lunch and pizza are available from October to May. Ice cream is sold every other week during lunchtime.
- Refer to Tuition Rates insert for current rates.
- Modest tuition increases averaging 4% per year over the last five years.
- Discounts given for multiple children.
- Tuition can be paid with a one-time payment in August or on a monthly basis; payment options include automatic bank account deduction or prescheduled credit card charges.
- Tomorrow’s Hope Foundation provides tuition assistance for those in need (Gr. K-8); visit tomorrowshopefoundation.org for details.
- Tuition: Timely payment of tuition.
- Fees: Initial and annual Registration Fee; annual Lunch Monitor Fee; Fundraising Fee.
- Fundraising: Three time slots of service per family to annual summer Family Festival fundraiser.
- Participate in the SCRIP “effortless” fundraising program.
- Parish Offertory: Contribute the minimum required to St. Rose Parish – through the use of the weekly offertory envelopes or automatic deduction – payable from July 1 to May 1.
Please refer to the Financial Obligations Policy pamphlet for details of the Tuition Policy and current dollar amounts and details of the Parental Obligations noted above.
Rev. Kenneth Zach, Pastor
Sr. Kathleen Gallina, OP, Principal
"like" us on Facebook